Hybrid Deployment Considerations – possibly a better alternative (more choices, less restrictive)
In this day and age, access to data must be ubiquitous.
There are a myriad of reasons, along with potential benefits, to maintaining a hybrid (split) implementation of email services between an on-premises environment and the cloud:
- High-Availability – (unfortunately, housing data in the cloud can conflict with security requirements)
- Security Implications / Regulatory compliance
- Your customer requirements for specific data
- Business continuity planning
- Concerns as to the responsible party maintaining SLA on data
- Backups and recovery
- Management, simplicity and tribal knowledge
Specifically targeting email services, a hybrid link can be easily configured between on premises environment and Office 365 thus enabling the management choices as to where a mailbox data will reside. (Article) Authentication utilized is that of a single source, namely Active Directory in sync or federated with Azure Active Directory, to reduce complexity around user log in. Additional information @ Migrate and Upgrade.
SHAWN MAY DTS Inc. | Principal Architect & CEO (888) 589-2999 | www.yourDTS.com Specializing in Cloud & Infrastructure Solutions